The Minister Dr. Zweli Mkhize has announced that South Africa has begun experiencing a predicted second wave of the Covid-19 virus as cases have begun surging.
The Minister said this during a special broadcast on Wednesday evening where he noted that 6 provinces were experiencing an increase in cases with the majority of which were patients between the ages of 15 and 19.
“It’s believed to be due to a large number of parties involving young people drinking alcohol with no adherence to non-pharmaceutical interventions, wearing of no masks and social distancing and hand sanitizing also not taking place.” Dr. Mkhize said.
Dr. Mkhize also pointed out that cases in KwaZulu-Natal have become a huge problem as a report from the province pointed to the situation being more widespread than previously thought.
“A report from KwaZulu-Natal last week showed the pattern was more widespread than thought. This inevitably leads to superspreader activities which spill over into the rest of the country as the age group is highly mobile and the majority of the carriers are largely asymptomatic.”
President Cyril Ramaphosa is set to address the nation on the plans for moving forward after a discussion is held with Cabinet over the situation.