The rumored Level 3 lockdown is coming to South Africa’s Eastern Cape and Western Cape Covid-19 hotspots after a visit was made last Friday by Health Minister Dr. Zweli Mkhize.
The surge in Coronavirus cases in provinces like Eastern Cape and Western Cape has prompted the government to implement stricter restrictions and longer curfews on the 2 provinces.
Earlier on, News24 reported that the National Coronavirus Command Council has agreed on a few restrictions for the Coronavirus hotspots in South Africa.
- The curfew should be 22:00 to 04:00.
- Alcohol sales should be restricted to Monday to Thursday.
- Pubs, taverns, and restaurants should be shut at 21:00.
- The consumption of alcohol should be banned in public areas like beaches and parks.
- Public gatherings should be limited to 100 people indoors and 250 people outdoors.
Level 3 Lockdown Eastern Cape
Nelson Mandela Bay is one of the hotspots in Eastern Cape which prompted the Minister of health Dr. Zweli Mkhize to visit the the province and asses readiness of medical facilities due to the spike in cases.
Level 3 Lockdown Western Cape
On the other hand, Western Cape Premier Alan Winde said he was deeply concerned with the growing number of new cases in the province with the increase being influenced by 2 districts namely Garden Route and the Cape Metro..