President Cyril Ramaphosa has announced that restrictions in place under level 3 of the national lockdown will be lifted to allow the reopening of more industries.
Speaking at a media briefing on Wednesday 17 June, Ramaphosa said that following consultation with scientists and provincial governments, the cabinet has decided to ease restrictions on a number of economic activities.
The list of industries which will be allowed to return to operation includes:
- Restaurants for sit-down meals
- Accredited and licensed accommodation (with the exception of home-sharing such as Airbnb)
- Conferences and meetings for business purposes
- Cinemas and theatres
- Personal care services, including hairdressers and salons
- Non-contact sports such as tennis, golf, cricket, and others
- Contact sports for training and modified activities with restricted use of facilities
Ramaphosa noted that the above would be accommodated under the eased restrictions in line with the restrictions on public gatherings that remain in place.
The government will publish rules detailing the eased restrictions in the near future, he added.